The Parliament of Rwanda is bicameral:
• The Chamber of Deputies and
• The Senate.
After the transitional period (1994-2003) ,the first legislature of the Chamber of Deputies commenced in 2003 to 2008 ,the Second legislature commenced in 2008 to 2013 .
The first legislature of the Senate commenced in 2003 and ended in 2011.
The second legislature of the Senate commenced in 2011 and will end in 2019.
Actually, the Senate of Rwanda has 26 members including:
• 12 senators elected by the specific councils in accordance with the administrative entities;
• 8 senators appointed by the President of the Republic;
• 4 senators designated by the Forum of Political organizations;
• 1 senator elected among lecturers and researchers of Public Universities and higher learning institutions;
• 1 senator elected among lecturers and researchers of Private Universities and higher learning institutions.